Course Description: SHE Incident Investigation root cause analysis; corrective and preventive action
Learners credited with this unit standard will be able to demonstrate the ability to conduct investigations into workplace SHE incidents. The competency includes all the activities required to successfully conduct incident investigations, as per S 24 OHS Act , GAR 8 & 9.
• Explain the specified requirements pertaining to conducting an investigation into workplace incidents.
• The relevant hazards and risks likely to be encountered during the investigation are described.
• The purpose of conducting investigations into workplace incidents is described..
• Gather and evaluate data.
• The prevailing conditions at the scene of the incident are determined by using accepted data gathering methods.
• Methods for gathering data must include:
• Inspection of the incident scene.
Interviews of witnesses.
Gathering of documents, procedures, practices and process evidence. Drawing of plans, taking photographs.
Collecting physical evidence for forensic analysis.
• The causes of the incident are identified through interpretation of these variances.
• Investigation into the incident must include: Immediate causes.
Lack of control.
• Perform post-investigation functions.
• The findings, recommendations and remedial action are reported.
• Remedial action is evaluated and recorded accordingly.
Required competencies or prior learning:
• Communication at NQF Level 2
• Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 2
WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM THIS COURSE:
SHE Practitioners . SHE Coordinators , SHE Representatives , Line Managers, Supervisors SHE Management System Appointees, Staff
Unit standard No:
UNIT STANDARD REFERENCE 120355 – Conduct an investigation into workplace incidents.
NQF & Credits
NQF LEVEL 3 AND CREDITS 5
3 Days (with some pre course work and evening reading)
Included in course:
Manual & Certificate (upon successful completion)